Thursday, May 10, 2012

3 more days, and reality hits

The last few days have been full of some ups and downs. The reality of our leaving has hit our kids and some adults as well. Going sounds awesome, till we realize that means leaving! There have been some emotional moments on the part of multiple folks in both of our families. We know this is normal, and I'm honestly thankful we are struggling with mixed emotions, because it just means we care a lot about our families and hate to leave them for over a week. We also feel very determined to keep our commitment to go on this trip and do the best we can while in Swaziland, in giving of ourselves and serving, and working to gain information to share with others to hopefully lead to long-term support.

I think I need to remember how simple our calling (to love) is right now, when the details of packing, childcare arranging, and concerns about how it all will work out threaten to steal the joy of going on this trip. There is a simple reason we are going and there is a powerful God who has provided and will strengthen us to serve, and who will comfort and care for our families in our absence. His Love is so overwhelming that I realize all of my inadequacies will be nothing compared to His goodness, and will only make others more aware of how good HE is. I feel so very weak, so unworthy, so incapable of any good that will really matter. Doubts that we don't know what we are doing, that we shouldn't leave our families, or that God would be able to do more with others, keep running through my thoughts. Then, I recalled Paul's encouragement today and am striving to apply this Truth to my life.

2 Corinthians 2:9-10
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. ” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


This song below has been on my mind since my recent post, telling of the love Alli and I have received, which spurs us on to love others. Our precious students from our homeschool co-op were taught this song by our dear friend Casey Tatum and they performed it at the end-of-year program a few weeks ago. The words and music are beautiful, and the passion and visible love on these kiddos' faces just made Alli and me both cry. You'll hear us near the end as we realized the surprise Casey had included in the slides. :-) I needed to read these words again tonight, and am again grateful for how the Lord works and brings encouragement through His Word and dear friends as well. I hope this encourages someone else tonight!

Lyrics to "Love":
When our hope is hard to find
And our faith is in decline
We need a cause to stand behind - love
We all want the way it feels
Time it comes and time it steals
What remains, what is real - love

[Chorus:]
There is love
There is forgiveness
There is love in times of need
When life is cold there is a promise
You will never go without...
There is love

It heals the sick
Comforts the weak
Breaks the proud
Raises the meek
In this life no guarantees...

Love is the answer
Love will find a way
When we love one another
It's a brighter day

O-kwa-ga-la-kwe,
Ku-singa-byoo-na,
Bwe-twa-ga-la-na-o-lu-na-ku-lu-suu-fu

No comments:

Post a Comment